How To Package Your Python Code¶
This tutorial aims to put forth an opinionated and specific pattern to make trouble-free packages for community use. It doesn’t describe the only way of doing things, merely one specific approach that works well.
In particular, packages should make it easy:
- To install with
- To specify as a dependency for another package.
- For other users to download and run tests.
- For other users to work on and have immediate familiary with the basic directory strucuture.
- To add and distribute documentation.
We’ll walk through the basic steps of building up a contrived package funniest to support these things.
At this time, this documentation focuses on Python 2.x only, and may not be as applicable to packages targeted to Python 3.x.
- Setuptools Documentation
- Core setuptools documentation and API reference.